Glenfarclas means "Valley of the green grass". The distillery is about a mile from the Spey and set on a cattle farm [near] Ben Rinnes from which the distillery's water flows. Barley is grown nearby. The distillery grew out of the farm [but did not really take off till it was bought by a neighbour, John Grant in 1865]. The site, variously known as Glenfarclas, or as Recherlich is not far from the village of Marypark in the Ballindalloch area.
The distillery is large and successful [and] is the business of a wholly private, family-owned company J & G Grant. John and George Grant are not connected (except perhaps distantly) to any of the other whisky-making Grants and regard theirs as the most truly independant of all Scottish distilleries.
The distillery was founded in 1836 and has been in the family since 1865. Its
still-house is modern and its stills the biggest on Speyside. They are heated
by gas flame. A substantial proportion of the whisky is aged in first-use
sherry cask, some in re-fill sherry casks and some in plain wood.
© Michael Jackson 1994, cm
Ballindalloch, Banffshire, AB37 9BD
Hear "Glenfarclas" pronounced in AU or WAV format
Search Dr. Do'g's index for the history of Glenfarclas
There just might be some news about Glenfarclas in The "Scotsman" newspaper