This distillery is tucked away behind trees in a dip
on the river Isla near Keith. It was originally built as a meal
mill in 1823, converted into a distillery in 1891 and acquired by
Gilbey's the gin distilers in 1895.
It produces about 52,000
alcohol-litres/week, all destined for blends. It is a neat and clean distillery,
employing stainless-steel mashing and fermenting vessels. It buys in ts malt
from various sources including Buckie and Pencaitland. There are six washbacks
and two pairs of stills. The spirit stills are equipped with 'purifiers' which
reflux the heavier fusel oils etc. back into the distillation while allowing the
lighter vapours on into the main condenser.
Hear "Strathmill" pronounced in AU or WAV format
Read an article about Strathmill distillery
Search Dr. Do'g's index for the history of Strathmill
There just might be some news about Strathmill in The "Scotsman" newspaper