gap Home Help Scotland Speyside West Isles Search
Navigation toolbar
Home | Help | Scotland | Speyside | West Isles | Search

Cardhu (Cardow)

No: 106
Producer: United
Region: Highlands
District: Speyside  -   Multimap view
OS Sheet 28 ; Map reference NJ 187 431 ; Latitude 57 28.5° N, Longitude 3 21° W
Founded 1824 ; Operating Status (1999): operating

Cardhu has in the past been variously known as Cardow and Cardoor from the gaelic 'black rock'. The spellings all refer to the same hamlet, in the heart of Speyside, on the stretch of the river known as Knockando. The same stretch houses the unrelated Knockando and Tamdhu distilleries. It is also a favoured spot for salmon fishermen. The Cardhu distillery traces its history to its establishment in 1824 by the local farmer John Cumming, and on the present site to 1884. There was illicit distilling on the site prior to 1824 and it is said that John Cumming relied on the aromas of Helen Cumming's home baking to conceal the presence of the still from the excisemen. It was extended in 1887 and 1897 and rebuilt in 1961. The company joined with Johnnie Walker in 1893. Water comes from the Mannoch Hill through two miles of pipe.
© Michael Jackson 1994, o.m., ms

There is further UD-orientated material in their InfoCenter, here.

Distillery rating: 3*

Knockando, Aberlour, Banffshire, AB38 7RY
Tel: 01340-6204 (visitor centre) or 01340-810204 and 01340-810439


Hear "Cardhu (Cardow)" pronounced in AU or WAV format
Search Dr. Do'g's index for the history of Cardhu (Cardow)
There just might be some news about Cardhu (Cardow) in The "Scotsman" newspaper