Preserved for posterity as a traditional and historic distillery, but no longer
in production Dallas Dhu, founded in 1899, and little
changed, closed in the early 1980s and reopened its doors to the public in
1988 under the aegis of the Scotland's Historic Buildings and Monument
Directorate. There are no plans to restart production. The distillery is
between the rivers Findhorn and Lossie and five or six miles west of the village
of Dallas. The name Dallas derives from the Gaelic words for valley and water.
Dhu means black, or perhaps in this instance, "dark". It is not certain
whether this refers to the colour of the water or the valley, or derives
from an earlier brand name for a blended whisky made with the Dallas malt.
© Michael Jackson 1994
Forres, Morayshire, IV36 0RR
Hear "Dallas Dhu" pronounced in AU or WAV format
Search Dr. Do'g's index for the history of Dallas Dhu
There just might be some news about Dallas Dhu in The "Scotsman" newspaper