The name derives from land known as St. Magdalene's Cross but the specific site of the distillery is Linlithgow Both the single malt and the distillery have sometimes been identified simply as Linlithgow.
St. Magdalene seems to have been founded in the early 1800s and became the area's principal malt distillery after a multiple merger in 1914. It closed permanently in 1983. © Michael Jackson 1994
Part of the land has been developed as flats and apparently the remainder will follow suit when the property market recovers a little [jb]
At one point there were five distilleries in Linlithgow including the Bulzion and one at Bonnytoun which was eventually subsumed into the St. Magdalene site. [ab]
Linlithgow, West Lothian
Hear "St. Magdalene" pronounced in AU or WAV format
Search Dr. Do'g's index for the history of St. Magdalene
There just might be some news about St. Magdalene in The "Scotsman" newspaper