An important component of the Dewar's blends, it has impeded its reputation by constantly changing its name. The distillery has variously been identified as Muir of Ord, Glen Ord or simply Ord. In official bottlings the single malt was for a time known as Glenordie. It has now reverted to Glen Ord. Never mind that the distillery is hardly in a glen: no reasonable malt-lover would wish to encourage any further changes of identity.
The distillery is at the village called Muir of Ord, on the neck of the Black
Isle, an isthmus between the Moray, Beauly and Cromarty Firths, not far from
Inverness. The "Isle" is noted for the cultivation of barley for malting.
There is a maltings with its open-sided peat-barns visible from the road, at
the distillery. Muir of Ord was founded in 1838 by the Mackenzies of Ord, close
to their meal mill and sharing the Allt Fionnaidh or "White Burn" nearby for
its water supply. It was modernised in 1966
and currently has six stills. It is located on the outskirts of Muir of Ord,
off the A832, 25 Km/15 miles west of Inverness and is the sole survivor of
no less than nine distilleries present in the area in Victorian times. Thomas
Mackenzie, proprietor of
the Ord estate was a rarity of the time being an exemplary landlord.
Muir of Ord, Ross & Cromarty, IV6 7UJ
Tel: 01463-870421 or 01463-871334
Hear "Glen Ord/Glenordie" pronounced in AU or WAV format
Visit the distillery's Web site
Search Dr. Do'g's index for the history of Glen Ord/Glenordie
There just might be some news about Glen Ord/Glenordie in The "Scotsman" newspaper