Section 1: The World's Leading Drink
- What is Scotch Whisky?
- Is Scotch Whisky the world's leading drink?
- When consumers ask for a Scotch, what exactly do they mean?
- What is a single whisky?
- What is the legal definition of Scotch Whisky?
- What is a Blended Scotch Whisky?
- Which spelling is correct, Whisky or Whiskey?
- What is the difference between Scotch, Irish, Rye and Bourbon Whiskies?
- What are spirits?
Section 2: The History of Scotch Whisky
- What is the origin of the name 'whisky'?
- When was Scotch Whisky first distilled?
- What is the history of charging duty on Scotch Whisky?
Section 3: Scotch Whisky in the Making
- How is Scotch Whisky made?
- What are the main kinds of Scotch Whisky?
- What gives Scotch Whisky its distinctive flavour and bouquet?
- Why do whiskies produced in different distilleries vary in flavour?
- How many distilleries are there?
- Can Scotch Whisky be made only in Scotland?
- If you could duplicate exactly a Scotch Whisky distillery
in, say,Brazil or Spain, could you produce Scotch?
Section 4: The Importance of Blending
- What is blending? What is its object?
- When was blending introduced?
- What is the percentage of Malt and Grain
Whiskies in blended Scotch Whisky?
- What is a de luxe blended Scotch Whisky?
- When there is an age label on a bottle of blended whisky
does it refer to the average age of the whiskies in that blend?
- Is it legal to sell whisky which is less than three
years old for consumption in this country?
Section 5: Scotch Whisky and the World
- What is the proportion of home sales to exports?
- How does consumption of Scotch Whisky in
Scotland compare with that in the rest of Britain?
- How important is Scotch Whisky as an export earner?
- To how many countries is Scotch exported?
- Is the European Community an important market for Scotch
- What are the total stocks of Scotch Whisky in this country?
- Is there a large amount of money tied up in whisky stocks?
- Can Scotch Whisky be purchased as an investment?
Section 6: Sale and Distribution
- How is the alcoholic strength of Scotch Whisky measured?
- What was meant by proof spirit?
- How was whisky tested for proof strength?
- At what strength is whisky sold (a) at home, (b) for export?
- How does U.S. proof strength compare with British and European
- What sizes of casks are used for bulk whisky and what are their
- What is the liquid content of the bottles most commonly used for
Scotch Whisky sales in the home market?
- How soon after it is distilled is whisky usually sold?
Section 7: Scotch Whisky and the Consumer
- Why is Scotch Whisky so expensive in Britain?
- How does the rate of duty on Scotch Whisky
compare with that on other alcoholic liquors?
- Why is whisky duty-free at sea?
- How many brands of Scotch Whisky are there?
- What are the best blends?
- Some Scotch Whisky has a smoky flavour. What causes this?
- Is it possible to tell the difference between one
brand of Scotch Whisky and another by smell alone?
- How old should the best Scotch Whisky be?
- Does Scotch Whisky in a bottle lose its strength with age?
- Does Scotch Whisky improve in a bottle which is kept sealed?
- What causes Whisky to lose its brightness?
- At what temperature is whisky best served?
- Is the bouquet of Scotch Whisky improved by warming slightly?
- What is the best shape of a whisky glass?
- What is the measure at which Scotch Whisky is
generally sold across the counter?
- What information must by law be given on the label of
a bottle of Scotch Whisky sold in the home market?
- Does it spoil or improve the flavour of Scotch Whisky
to put ice into it as a drink?
- Why do some people turn a new bottle of Scotch
Whisky upside down before opening?
- Is it injurious to drink whisky with oysters or other shellfish?
- What is the difference between Scotch Whisky and gin?
- What is the alcoholic strength of Scotch Whisky?
- What are the usual alcoholic strengths of other drinks?
- How should one drink Scotch Whisky?
Section 8: Definitions
- What is a single whisky?
- What is meant by saccharify?
- What is diastase?
- What is wort?
- What is Wash?
- What is the Pot Still distillation?
- What is Patent Still distillation?
- What is the worm?
- What are low wines?
- What is pot ale?
- What are foreshots?
- What are feints?
- What are spent lees?
- What is draff?
- What are the principal by-products of Scotch Whisky?
- What is meant by Under Bond and Duty Paid sales, respectively?
Section 9: Scotch Whisky and the Environment
- Can Scotch Whisky be described as a drink from nature?
Section 10: Scotch Whisky and Health
- Is alcohol good for health?
- How common is the misuse of alcohol?
- What can be done to prevent the misuse of alcohol?
- How does the Scotch Whisky Industry help in prevention?