next up previous contents
Next: About this document ... Up: Descriptions of Modules and Previous: Professional Issues   Contents

Subsections

Software Engineering with Objects and Components 1

Description

This course provides an introduction to the design and implementation of software systems using object oriented techniques. The techniques we consider are oriented to creating component based designs. The course will review basic object oriented techniques and how they support the creation of component based designs. We also consider the high level modelling of systems as a means of supporting the Software Engineering process. Here we study the Unified Modelling Language (UML), which provides programming language independent notations for design.

Context.

the following prerequisites are covered in CS2: Basic knowledge of Software Engineering and Object-Orientation concepts; Java programming.

The Software Engineering process.

We briefly consider how taking objects and components as a central organising theme influences the Software Engineering process. A number of case studies of ``classic'' software-related failures will be used as illustrative examples throughout the course. We also briefly consider the arguments for and against insisting upon any specific approach to Software Engineering, and those for and against object orientation in particular. Both the development process and project management and planning will be illustrated and utilised throughout the practical work

Elements of UML.

Here we outline the main phases of an object oriented development: analysis, design and implementation. Each of these phases is supported by various diagrammatic notations embodied in UML. We consider a small subset of the full collection.

Assessment

An examination paper accounts for 75% of the mark. The remaining 25% is accounted for by individual coursework, which will take the form of exercises, reports and student presentations taken as group work in the tutorials.

Web URLs


\begin{references}
\par\stars{3} Stevens and Pooley \emph{Using UML: Software En...
...} Winston and Narasimhan \emph{On to Java}, Addison-Wesley.
\par\end{references}


next up previous contents
Next: About this document ... Up: Descriptions of Modules and Previous: Professional Issues   Contents
CS3 dummy user 2001-09-25