School of Computer Science

Edinburgh University Crest

Division of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

CS3 Compiling Techniques: Syllabus

This course describes the phases of a modern programming language compiler with an emphasis on widely-used techniques.

Context

There are no formal prerequisites other than CS2.

Syllabus

Activities

Lectures are given by Björn Franke. They will loosely follow Part 1 of the textbook by Andrew W. Appel.

Assessment

An examination paper accounts for 75% of the course mark. The coursework accounts for the remaining 25%.

Course text

Andrew W. Appel, Modern Compiler Implementation, Cambridge University Press, 1998. (***)

Three versions of this book are available which present code fragments from the compiler in the languages C, Standard ML and Java. Students should use whichever version of the book they prefer.

Björn Franke, bf@dcs.ed.ac.uk.