Foodstuffs Needed and Where to get
You will need rice, which I will describe in greater detail in the next topic. You will also need the
following items, some of which are optional:
I usually get my things at the local Hughes Market or Ralph's here in Oxnard, California. Any Japanese
or Asian market will have all of this, and a whole lot more. The crab, cucumbers and avocados are
available at most markets.
- nori, toasted seaweed sheets, available even at Von's and other supermarkets now
- wasabi, Japanese horseradish mustard, comes in cans of powder, just add water
- gari or shoga, sliced ginger, a condiment used to reset the taste buds
- shredded daikon radish, optional
- su or awaze-zu, sushi vinegar, see Rice section below
- imitation crab sticks, for California rolls, pieces will also work if you can't find the sticks
- kappa, cucumber -- I usually use the European cucumbers since they are longer and there is
- avocado -- make sure they are ripe, the dark-skinned variety is easier to peel
- sakura denbu, seasoned shredded cod fish (pink powder)
- hari hari zuke, pickled vegetable mix (yellow)
- ao shiso no mi, prepared beefsteak plant seeds (green)
- shiso sakura, pickled radish and ginger with beefsteak plant (pink)
- kampyo, seasoned Japanese gourd (dark yellow)
- nametake chazuke, prepared mushrooms
- shoyu, soy sauce, mixed with the wasabi for dipping the sushi, low-salt is available now
Return to Contents on main page.
Back to previous topic (Equipment).
Jump to next topic (Rice).